Monday, April 18

Thyme And Chamomile Are In My Kitchen

The new In My Kitchen segment of The Beautiful World has now moved to Monday! I know there wasn't a post last week, so this week is a double post. Enjoy!


Specifically, dried thyme is in my kitchen. Thyme is an ancient herb used widely in the food of many cultures. Thyme retains its flavor very well after drying compared to most herbs, and its shelf life is greatly extended. Though it possesses a strong, distinct flavor, it mixes well with other herbs and spices, and has a particular affinity for other strong flavors, such as lamb and eggs. Its flavor is released very slowly and is relatively unaffected by prolonged heating, so it's best added early while making a dish.

Since I've started cooking, thyme has become my go-to herb whenever I needed a little extra flavor in my savory dishes. Stir-fry? Add a little thyme. Sauteed vegetables? Thyme will make it better. Baked meats? Rub it down with a generous amount of thyme. In its dried form, its extremely useful and convenient. And that's why you can always find dried thyme in my kitchen.



I'm a big fan of tea. Tea as in the stuff made from tea leaves. Get those fruity flavors out of my cup! Whenever I go out and get tea at some restaurant, they always have a large selection of fruity "herbal" teas. What's with that?

There are a few true herbal teas that I do enjoy, however. My absolute favorite one of them is chamomile, made from chamomile flowers. It has a sweet, subtle aroma that goes well with honey and lemons. It's also extremely calming. Drinking chamomile has been proven to reduce stress, and it has been prescribed for many years as folk medicine. I do caution, however, that it be limited to small amounts. Continuous intake of chamomile has been noted to aggravate some medical conditions, and there are some who are allergic to it. Nevertheless, I love the stuff, and you can always find chamomile in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment